Machine Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Demented Arena

4 posters

Go down

Demented Arena Empty Demented Arena

Post by Angel of Vengeance Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Demented Arena Dementedaren

Link to the current build is at the bottom.

What is it?
Demented Arena is one of the many products of my diseased mind. It harshly exploits the competitive tendencies I've seen in many cooperative players. Two teams are forced to play duplicate maps. They are separate from each other, with very rare exceptions.

DA is, at its heart, a race. But even though the two teams can not directly shoot at each other, many nasty surprises can be pulled. Summoning monsters, flooding rooms with water, slime, or even lava, delivering surprise (locked) doors... the possibilities are endless.

The first team to reach the exit wins.

How far has it come?
Not very far yet. I have MAP01 mostly complete, but it still needs a lot of miscellaneous fixes. MAP02 is perhaps a 1/4 - 1/3 complete. But as it stands, I have no team code, and it has not been tested in multiplayer.

There has been some detailing; enough to make it not look bad. It's certainly not as pretty-ful as I would like it to be, but that's low on the priority list right now.

Sounds awesome! When can I play?
After the first two maps are in a playable state, I'll be annoying Soul Sucka until he will host for me. That will be the first set of testing. I have no doubt the monster placement will suck at first: I can only test it by myself, and all the maps are designed for four player teams.

You're a faggot. Stop pretending that you matter.
STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS!

Is there anything I can do to help?
Of course! I will happily accept maps that seem to be decent. Even if they aren't, I'll give you advice on what to do to make it better. Alternatively, feel free to dump a load of crap on my hard drive and tell me to fix it. Odds are that I will.

If you want to donate music, feel free to do so in MIDI format. However, please note that every single MIDI that will come with DA.wad/pk3 is essentially a placeholder. I will be releasing an optional .ogg music pack to go along with this after everything's done. But if you want to make a MIDI for this, go right ahead and PM me, and I'll keep it in the list of options.

If you would like to make an ACS donation, I will love you. My skills are horribly lacking; I can't do anything beyond basic map alteration (setting fog, earthquakes, and so on). Specifically, a working code to split the players into teams would be a godsend.

Spoiler:

Pics or it didn't happen.
Fine. MAP01:

Demented Arena Damap01

Early MAP02:
Demented Arena Damap02

An actual shot of MAP01:
Demented Arena Arialview
[i]

Last edited by Angel of Vengeance on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Angel of Vengeance
Angel of Vengeance

Back to top Go down

Demented Arena Empty Re: Demented Arena

Post by Soul Sucka Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Great concept!

So, it could work just as a new coop mapset as well?

Soul Sucka

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Hicks Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm

I like the idea! Competitive Coop Very Happy
Joseph Hicks
Joseph Hicks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Vengeance Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Soul Sucka wrote:Great concept!

So, it could work just as a new coop mapset as well?

Yes. I'll be releasing a single-player version of this after it's all done (no duplicate map and traps removed) that will have normal coop support.
Angel of Vengeance
Angel of Vengeance

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Vengeance Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 pm

The first two maps are ready for testing!

Well, at least so I can figure out how well the monster/health/ammo placement is working. There are still a lotta little tweaks to be made, but monster balance is top priority. In the meantime, grab your copy and check it out.

EDIT: <a link to the build will be here shortly.>
Angel of Vengeance
Angel of Vengeance

Back to top Go down

Post by Thrasher Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:01 pm

2 finished base layouts and 1 work in progress layout (will convert to hexen format )
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y5wgor

1 finished base layout (with tons of homs)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l39ohq

Thrasher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum