MSDuel! - Released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MSDuel! - Released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Spirit Soldier on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:51 am

Fuck you all, Embrace the Darkness is suppozed to be dark as fuck. What exactly was the critique other than baw its too dark? I'll turn up the lights today.

I dunno whats up with Grymmoire's skybox, it worked fine for me.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Hicks on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:08 am

Spirit Soldier wrote:Fuck you all, Embrace the Darkness is suppozed to be dark as fuck. What exactly was the critique other than baw its too dark? I'll turn up the lights today.
None Razz
People were complaining about having to change the gamma to see anything. If it IS supposed to be dark, leave it be. Very Happy

@Grymmoire's skybox: It's weird, It never showed up for me and it failed to show up yesterday.

Go get SpeedDM Anthology and SpeedDM Z!
Joseph Hicks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:29 pm

Ok. Embrace the Darkness was designed to be a tense, slow pace close quarters combat in the night. I had to kill the lights further to discourage gamma changes. So I will not change it.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Grymmoire on Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:13 pm

On the topic of my skybox. I looked at it and found the problem: The skybox viewpoint isn't visible at all skills. So simply open up the map and modify the viewpoint so that it shows up on all skills. Funny how such a simple problem can be overlooked.

Also, for both of my maps (Apotheosis and Fury of Fire) Essel made some points on some screenshots I posted, I don't qquite know if I have time to go back and fix up any of these issues so I'll post the points and maybe one of the quality control guys could work on a couple of the pointers:

Code:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=533093#p533093

<esselfortium>   Grymmoire: IMO the lighting is kind of monotonous in the first couple shots. darkish room with a bunch of identical circular dynamic(?) lights spaced around them. i'd go for a bit more variance between actual light to dark areas, size/style/placement of lights, etc.

<esselfortium>   not too fond of the third shot. the tons and tons of thin ceiling beams look kind of odd to me, for one thing..

<esselfortium>   and i dunno if the indented floor detail is really necessary. some nice simple, interesting geometric skylight shape with light gradients cast would probably detail the floor better than that. and i'd add some little lights along the ceiling on the outer edges, or the walls or something.

<esselfortium>   also, if you're going to have the big [MS] sign somewhere i think it should be in a place where it can be more of a direct focus. here it feels kind of stuffed into a corner. maybe do an [MS] logo edit of the brown96 bars you're using as ceiling trim, and put it in the middle of the longest continuous upper wall? then could put a little light right over it or something like that, to make it stand out a bit more

<esselfortium>   looking at the first shot in the second spoiler, honestly i'd focus more on detailing the ceiling than the floor. the flatter your floor can be (other than height changes from actual stairs and platforms, of course) while still looking good, the better players will be able to move around on it. your ceiling is totally flat; huge missed opportunity there. you can do much more drastic height changes on the ceiling, different heighted compartments using different textures, putting lights and other stuff up in them, etc., whereas on the floor you're stuck with small changes and little detail bits.

<esselfortium>   Grymmoire: in the last shot, i'd do something about the skybox...the straight-line cutoff from lava to mountains looks rather unnatural, especially with the fog making the lava pretty much solid orange

<esselfortium>   Grymmoire: it makes it look, from a glance at the still shot, like the mountains are somehow floating above you in an orange sky

<esselfortium>   Grymmoire: i'm really not sure. in general i'm not usually a fan of skyboxes that are built with map geometry like that, it seems really difficult to make them look decent

<Grymmoire>Maybe including some kind of rock formation on the edge on the map before the line horizon

<Grymmoire>If the formation reaches above the player's ground level, then they wouldn't see the cutoff

<Grymmoire>Yeah

<Grymmoire>That could do it
Grymmoire

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:49 pm

well, some one could look into it. Also, nice catch on the skybox thing.

Reading Essel's tips can also help any map so I advise reading them.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Joseph Hicks wrote:In the Sign of Evil turned out to be too large, I'm thinking if I should make a smaller version of it to go in MSDuel and leave the current one in MSDM - Grave, I'll end up making something huge again, so I think you should make it
Agreed.
Also, kirb's map was as bad as I was told. I still REALLY dislike astartashwall in it's entirety. It looks bad and it's general layout is similar to some maps in msduel already. Lastly, fix final frontier's sky.
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 am

astartashwall seems too bland to me. could use some decoration and a little bit of detailing.
in welcome to the shop, the glass covering the TEKWALL4 texture is not impassible (or is it supposed to be like that?)
in top of the shop, it takes too long to get to the top, and there are too many runes D:

Last edited by fdigl on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 am

fdigl wrote:
in welcome to the shop, the glass covering the TEKWALL4 texture is not impassible (or is it supposed to be like that?)
I got sick of making the map, I guess I must have missed that.
fdigl wrote:
in top of the shop, it takes too long to get to the top, and there are too many runes D:
deal with it.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Well I was creating and scrapping tons of ideas for my second map, and as I reformed it over and over it slowly became something else, so I'd like to change the name of the map to "Cubas", now at 25%
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 pm

I removed Kirb's map in stead for a new map Boiling Point. Will not take me long to make.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Not worth it to remake it? I feel you. Looking at that map... I'd feel like tearing it apart and starting from scratch.
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:54 pm

Anna wrote:Not worth it to remake it? I feel you. Looking at that map... I'd feel like tearing it apart and starting from scratch.
I feel so bad for the map, but even Bob the builder can't fix that... Sad
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I completed boiling point - it needs music. Someone else can find a suitable piece.

No, imo it wasn't worth remodeling at all. It was bad news. Plus, Kirb left the clan so I didn't find it fitting for it to be there anyway.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mskk7q

edit: new link. I forgot to darken two sectors, now fixed. Also, this is claimed to be VERY similar to the Incinerator, but that shouldn't matter
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Nightfall's computer is broken ---> What is to be done about his maps?
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Hicks on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Spirit Soldier wrote:Nightfall's computer is broken ---> What is to be done about his maps?
I can finish them if he wants. I'll ask him for the maps and instructions (what he wants to be done).

Joseph Hicks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 am

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2iepxi

In the Sign of Evil but more duel appropriate.

I'm liking that completion rate.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Hicks on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Mobius dropped his map?
If so, we should ask Icy for his SkyScrapper duel map. Very Happy

Joseph Hicks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 pm

I dropped it for him; I dunno if he really intended on doing it or not. Guest map stuff (asking others for) is totally up to you. I think though, when we release this, in the topic say if you wish to donate a map, drop us a note and we'll see what we can do.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I have a duel map ready, ZDOOM UDMF. Stock Textures only. (Though it makes new room for a surprise I'm making. You guys want it? Name: Water Storage - 100%

It's about a water harvesting facility that obtains water from clouds. The other marines outside couldn't make it in before the lockdown, so they died in the extreme heat.
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm

link please
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Download the map. Everything is in there. MAPINFO as well. (Even a custom sky texture made by me!) MODIFY AT YOUR WILL.
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:35 am

Unless you EXTENSIVELY (and I mean completely remodel) this map, I will not accept it. Temple of Kirbonium is better than this.
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am

too small?
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit Soldier on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am

There's texture cutoffs, uninteresting textures, it's a symmetrical small box of a room, no height variation. My suggestion is to make this the center of the duel map, while expanding the outside (fix your textures), make accessible cliffs and whatnot, and kill the symmetry
Spirit Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post by fdigl on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 am

on the remake.
fdigl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next